Friday, July 31, 2009

We'll call this guy "TennisPro". Nice profile picture, profile says professional athlete, according to all criteria we're a perfect match. I've played tennis since I was five, used to play in a league, etc. I was super excited when he was interested in meeting me.

Apparently I'm blind to all red flags because in hindsight they were everywhere...
Red Flag#1 the professional athlete turned out to be a (children's) tennis instructor at one of the local health clubs. In his eyes that made him a tennis pro. He played tournaments at that same club and was at the very bottom of the list.
Red Flag#2 he didn't have a car (long story about totaling the last car after break up with ex girlfriend blahblahblah - this really shouldn't matter but it gave a great excuse to invite me to a gourmet dinner at his house. He claimed to have also been a chef.
Red Flag#3 after much begging, and after I found out that his mother used to coach my tennis league, I caved and agreed to dinner at his house. He asked me to pick up some bread and wine which I foolishly did


Now the date...
I arrived at his house...nice little cottage. The furniture however looked like it was straight from a dumpster! At 35 I expect a guy to have at least somewhat decent furniture...after we said our hello's he took a look at the wine I brought and said, "do you expect me to drink this cheap crap?"


He then shoved the bottle in the fridge. Then he started to eat the bread. I looked around the kitchen, there was nothing on the stove...so I asked about dinner. "Do you really want to eat?" he asked. I reminded him that he had invited me to dinner. So he puts on some water for pasta and pulls a jar of marinara sauce from the cabinet. I mentioned that I didn't consider elbow macaroni & prego a gourmet dinner. He said that cooking a real pasta sauce would have taken all day, and he just did not have time for that (he'd been off for the past two days). He ate all the bread himself, and then served bud light in the can instead of the wine I brought. Then he insisted that we sit on his stained, pink couch so he could play the guitar for me. And serenade me. I played along for awhile until he started getting handsy. I then tried to do the polite thing, thanked him for dinner and left.

I thought that would be it. No...he then started to call me at all hours of the day and night to "chat", IM'd me whenever he saw that I was online and left me sappy comments on myspace. I never responded to any. After about three weeks or so I got a voicemail from him together with some girl calling me every name in the book, the b-word, the c-word, and the w-word, saying how jealous I must be now. This was about 2.5 years ago...he tried to friend me on FB last week. Rejected!

No comments:

Post a Comment